Wednesday, September 21, 2011

new songs

2011 promises to be the most productive year since my divorce. I'm writing new material, bit by bit, and getting back into audio production with my band (Bandersnatch). The guitarist in the band is tremendously talented and his creativity pushes me to move beyond the 3 section song structure and traditional 3 chord rock I usually play. Plus my daughter's band (Pink Marmalade) - basically the two of us writing songs - is getting me to integrate audio recording with loops and virtual synths to build up songs that are pretty complex for a 6th grader. We're collaborating on lyrics and I'm trying to keep the messages upbeat but she keeps pulling out ideas like the dystopian future that we're headed towards. I wish I had the energy or resolve to finish Wonderful's "Screaming in Braille" but since embarking on the Bad Samaritan sessions last fall, I'm torn between the simple alt rock and ballads of yesteryear and the more modern sounds of loop-based music production.

I expect by 2012 I'll be more focused and finally have a dozen songs I can share. Right now there's just bits and pieces loaded here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment