Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The best laid plans...

The past couple of nights I've spent a few hours working on my new (used) Mac that I bought last August. There's been a ton of boring / frustrating technical stuff to handle with my migration from my Mac Mini: cloning the hard drive, installing programs and updates, resolving licensing issues, troubleshooting crashes, etc. However I'm pretty good at resolving these kind of issues, having 28 years of experience. I've got it mostly working with Cubase 6.51 and I recorded about 19 seconds of music last night. That sounds ridiculous, the fact that seconds of creative work cost hours of technical bullshit, but I always feel a real sense of accomplishment when I make new songs.

My personal goal for 2012 is to resuscitate all my old recordings and put them in updated file formats so I can use them / finish them. I have a lot more to go. So far I have around 25 mp3's between 20 seconds and 6 minutes long. It's maybe 5% of my recordings since 1991 and doesn't include many of the 200 or so songs I've written (most have never been recorded). But I'm getting better at music production and I quite enjoy creating melodies. By the way, my songs are mostly in Logic, ProTools, and Cubase, with the earliest / most difficult to recover songs in Vision format.

I realize these efforts will never earn money, nor win me the girl, but it's a calling. Plus it keeps me busy and is somewhat better than hanging out in a bar, kvetching about how shitty my life is. I know I'm a lucky guy every day that I wake up. I just wish I could afford to spend more time on my passion for music, and less time doing prep-work and file management.

No comments:

Post a Comment